Saturday, May 22, 2010

How Bizarre

I was catching up on my most recent Psychology Today and came across this article on luck.  I just thought I'd share a few things that I found to be particularly insightful in their talking about the differences in the ability of flexible people to spot and seize opportunities versus those who tend to be more rigid and conscientious. 

"Learn to behave more elastically.  Flexible people often respond to the same stimuli differently than do rigid types. Exploring new territory naturally increases good fortune."

"Do something different.  It doesn't even need to be meaningful to your goal.  Breaking behavioral habits can lever changes in mental habits that have kept you from success so far."

"Try to keep your mood positive in order to catch more of the possibilities that whiz by everyday."

"Allow yourself to stray off-task sometimes.  We need to be loose to become aware of hidden opportunities.  Allowing yourself some flexibility in the process can lead to better long-term outcomes."

"Instead of giving in to worry about what could go wrong, think, 'Isn't that interesting?  I'd like to give that a try.'  If you're truly unsure of a decision, ask yourself, 'What's the worst that could happen?'  Think about which action you will regret more in the future.  Sometimes there's a short-term cost, in terms of your resources or stress ... [that results in] a long-term benefit."

I want to try to be less rigid and more flexible.  Not that I think I am particularly unlucky, but I know that I am pretty conscious and tend to fall into my comfort zone.  I want to step out and try new things, meet new people, and be less of a worry-wart.  As M always gives me such crap for, I've really got to stop thinking the ultimate worst and rid myself of this extreme "stranger danger" complex that I've got going.  Sure, it's smart to be cautious, but he's right, I am a little extreme in my thinking.

"Destination unknown, as we pull in for some gas, a freshly pasted poster, reveals a smile from the pack."  ~OMC, How Bizarre

No comments: