Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Anchor

I want to officially announce that I have decided I want to make a career in Human Resources.  I had talked around the issue in previous posts, but didn't realize that I hadn't come right out and said it.  It came to me during my deemed "Weekend of Clarity" when I was home for my brother's graduation party.  I was actually sitting in Mass with the whole fam and was pretty pessimistic about being there cause it was taking forever, I was hot, I was hungry, my pants were bothering me, I was tired, Fr.'s homily wasn't really making any sense, I wasn't in the moment, etc. - basically just wishing I had stayed at home.  I remember just closing my eyes and all was silent, and it was then that I heard God for the first time in a long time.  In my stillness, I came to the reassuring decision that HR is what I want to go into with full force.  And, like my previous posts have reflected, never have I felt so clear in my entire life.  Though I was so sure and so thankful for God's little chat with me, Mass was only halfway done and I could hardly sit still, I just wanted to call D and tell her.  haha

Since I have come to that decision, I have actually ran with it as fast as I can.  I have gotten involved in the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) and am in a leadership position at the U of U student chapter, as well as a member of the local SL chapter and at the national level.  I attended my first SL SHRM Luncheon this week!  It went really well and was very interesting and actually a lot of fun!  I didn't do much on the networking side, only because I was unfamiliar with the process and didn't have someone to guide me along.  I will be glad when D comes with S and I next month and can show us the ropes.

D has also been helping me tremendously at work with building my experience and is just such a huge asset in things even as basic as helping me beef up my resume.  So I have to give her a big, big "thank you" cause without her, I'd still be in square one.  She's also just a great mentor and is such an amazing role model to me in more ways than one.  I need to make a better point of making sure she knows it...

"Hold my hand, while I'm sinking in the sand, no one else could understand."  ~ Lifehouse, Anchor

No comments: